Martin Luther King Day
8th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and Learning
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” During our 2014 event, nearly 300 volunteers of all ages offered their services to nonprofit agencies in the Greater Boston Area. Their efforts impact the lives of over 3,000 individuals.
This year we're aiming to have an even bigger impact. Make it a day on, not a day off!
Click here to see the MLK Day Newsletter
Click here to see a short video about the 2013 MLK Day of Service and Learning
Participants meet at their service and spend the morning working. At 1:00 p.m., all volunteers gather at Twelfth Baptist Church in Dudley Square, Roxbury, where Dr. King worshipped when he lived in Boston, for a time of food, fellowship, music, and closing reflections.
There is a $20 registration fee for each participant.
Sample Volunteer Activities:
- Preparing meals and sorting clothes at the historic PILGRIM CHURCH in Dorchester
- Packaging books at PRISON BOOK PROGRAM in Quincy
- Preparing lunch at Twelfth Baptist Church
- Painting at Twelfth Baptist Church
9:15 a.m. Arrive at service site
9:30 - 11:30 p.m. Work at service site
11:30 Travel to Twelfth Baptist Church
12:00 - 12:45 p.m. Lunch
12:45 - 1:30 p.m. Closing Celebration
DEADLINE = MONDAY, JANUARY 11, 2015
- Download MLK Registration Form (see below or call 617-742-6830)
- Complete Part I and return to Carl McDonald as soon as possible:
City Mission Society
14 Beacon St., #203
Boston, MA 02108
- Send Part II with full payment after you have confirmed the size of your group.
- Complete the appropriate (youth or adult) release form for each member of your group and bring to the service site on the morning of January 18.